Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Stirling Civic Trust

Executive committee meeting, 30.09.2019

1 Present: Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Janet McNair, Jim Guinessy, Susan Stirling-Aird, Mick Stewart and Johnnie Cuthbert.

Gordon McEachern sent his apologies.

2 Minutes of 15th March 2019.

Approved.

3 Matters arising

None

4 Planning matters.

The planning application for the “link road” was discussed and it was recognised that significant points raised by the public in opposition to the project were valid but the committee felt these did not warrant any formal comment in support or otherwise.

Similarly, the student accommodation between Riverside and the railway station had raised adverse public comments regarding the increased height of the later locations of construction for blocking views of residents, but the horizontal space had actually increased.

5 Future Programme

Winter Talks

The speaker after the AGM will be Robin Iffla, who will give a talk on The Guardians of Scotland Trust. Susan will seek to get a short description of the content of the talk for the AGM intimation letter and make clear the details of time for the evening and allowed expenses.

HES have been contacted, requesting 2 guest speakers for Feb. and March. Topics suggested for those talks are

1 The impact of tourism on Stirling

2 Ecclesiastic architecture for modern and/or traditional buildings

3 Telford bridges and canals near Stirling

It was also suggested that a speaker from RIAS and AHSS might be selected for a suitable topic. (Out-with the meeting, Gordon was asked to comment on this possibility)

6 Accounts and Financial Issues

Nigel circulated the statement of accounts which had been approved by the auditor and he expected to have the auditor’s signature shorty after 8th Oct. for inclusion in the AGM intimation. Because of our efforts to adopt digital banking and reduced expenses, we are now operating with a yearly profit.

7 Doors Open Day

We had an improved display for this year’s event, namely a short competition of identifying 10 locations around Stirling but our location at the Church of the Holy Rude was not a success. The visitor numbers were high, but they were only interested in the church. Our submission to the organisers included a comment that any future location should have some connection with Trust activities and hopefully we will be back at Cowanes Hospital next year.

8 Sculpture Adoption Scheme

Jack will contact the council to establish if Jim’s suggestion that it might be possible to place sculptures in some of the empty high street premises. Another possible site was “The Engine Shed”.

9 Sponsor a prize for school civic activities

Jack had noted that Dunblane Civic Society had awarded a prize to a secondary school pupil for participation in a civic project and asked the committee for future comments on this for similar action by the Stirling Trust.

10 Actions for the AGM

Jack reviewed these and out-with the meeting emailed Roger and Nigel with the procedure for these tasks.

11 AOCB

None

12 Date of Next Meeting

To be established after details for the 2 talks to take place in Feb. and March next year have been confirmed.

Jack Sutherland, Convenor 03.10.19

Stirling Civic Trust

Executive committee meeting, 21.08.2019

1 Present: Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Janet McNair, Gordon McEachern and Jim Guinessy.

Apologies were received from Susan Stirling-Aird, Mick Stewart and Johnnie Cuthbert.

2 Minutes of 15th March 2019.

No minutes had been recorded, but the meeting consisted mainly of discussion on how the Stirling Civic Trust could help/benefit the community, especially with respect to “deprived areas” as explained by Elaine Richardson, Scottish Civic Trust, using social media, funding strategies and recruitment from younger communities with regard to minor projects. No specific projects were identified for SCT participation.

3 Planning matters.

The planning application for the “link road” was discussed and points considered were the deciding vote that was cast by the chairman and the possible referral to the Scottish executive for a decision.

4 Future Programme

Winter Talks

Suggestions had been submitted by Susan and Janet, and Susan’s for a talk on The Guardians of the Scottish Trust will be the first talk of the series, to follow the AGM business. Janet’s suggestions will be followed up after the relevant bodies have been established and topic speakers agreed.

5 Accounts and Financial Issues

Nigel advised that there a been a significant improvement in our finances after the dues paid on the 1st August and he was well prepared to establish the accounts for audit and annual response for OSCR.

6 Doors Open Day

Nigel presented a selection of pictures for display and competition on the weekend, and the committee agreed it was a good selection with a minor change. The competition form will show that winners names will be displayed on the website updated on October 1st. Credit will be shown for authors of the pictures shown.

Volunteers so far, Jack,      both days, Nigel       1 day, Jim      checking diary

7 Sculpture Adoption Scheme

Jack explained the scheme and provided hard copies of the scheme details submitted to various prominent sites in Stirling for their consideration. It was also suggested that the various empty retail shops in the town centre may be used as display sites and Jack will contact the council to establish who would make that decision. Another possible site was “The Engine Shed”. Janet asked if anyone knew the price of business cards that could be given out on the day, giving details of the Trust and its website.

8 AOCB

None

9 Date of Next Meeting

To be established after the date for the AGM has been decided.

Jack Sutherland, Convenor 22.08.19

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE

2pm  Monday 3rd December

Present:  Jack Sutherland (Convener/Secretary), Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Susan Stirling-Aird, Mick Stewart and Jim Guinnessy.

Apologies Gordon McEachern and Janet McNair.

1 To approve the minutes of the meeting on 7th August 2018

Approved.

2 Matters arising

None.

3 Planning matters

The proposal for a link road was discussed and Mick took notes of the various comments made and will prepare a response, but no action will be taken until the proposal becomes a submitted application. The significance of this proposal/application may give us opportunities for press releases, Stirling City Radio features and establishing contacts with campaign groups.

4 Future programme, outings and talks

Summer outings

Members are requested to identify suitable ideas for discussion at the next committee

meeting.

Various comments were made about the ongoing problem of poor levels of attendance for talks and outings as illustrated by the first talk of the current winter series. It was acknowledged that a good speaker and/or an interesting topic does pull in more people. Susan suggested a speaker for the next AGM who is an authority on beavers in Scotland and getting more publicity  for Trust by “leaflet drops” in Stirling.

Accounts

Nigel reported on his progress since taking on the office of Treasurer. He felt the key topics were Standing Orders, Gift aid, submission for OSCAR, and £50 for corporate membership instead of £25. We now have the digital banking facility – it is fully operational.

6 Doors open day

Jack had forwarded the December E-Bulletin from the Scottish Civic Trust which included a major report on a very successful event at locations around Scotland. The Cowane Hospital attracted some 400 visitors and Nigel suggested that we could possibly have a photo competition (or some other feature) to make our presence more noticeable in future years. Suggestions are requested for the next committee meeting.

7 AOCB

Johnny asked if the Trust should be involved in a large development at Leckie House near Gargunnock which included 4 chalets. The committee felt that it should be investigated by Mick.

8 Date of next meeting

Wednesday 6th March 2019

Outwith the meeting

Jim Guinnessy suggested we consider contacting senior school pupils as potential Trust members. This will be raised at the next committee meeting.

Jack Sutherland, Convenor and Secretary          04.12.18

Stirling Civic Trust

Executive Meeting, 7 August 2018

 

  1. Present: Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Gordon McEachern, Johnnie Cuthbert, Janet McNair.

Apologies were received from Susan Stirling-Aird.

  1. The Minutes of the meeting of 8 May 2018 were approved, subject to the correction of “Sonia Landskill” to “Sonia Linskaill”.
  2. Under matters arising, it was agreed that Executive Minutes should be named using the following format “SCT Exec- 2018-08-07”.
  3. Planning matters

There was no new information to report.

  1. Future programme

It is intended to hold the 2018 AGM in late October.  The first talk in the Winter/Spring series will follow the meeting, when it is intended to have a speaker from Scottish Water.  The second talk will be on 28th November, when speakers from Friends of the Earth Scotland will talk about aspects of national and local FoE policy.  The final talk, in February 2019, will be given by SEPA, on the subject of Waste Management.

  1. Accounts

It was agreed that Jack and Johnnie will arrange to meet Susan, who has resigned as Treasurer, to complete the handover of the Treasurer’s documentation so that the necessary paperwork can be completed in time for circulation to Members with papers for the AGM.  Gordon kindly offered the use of his office meeting room for this meeting, which it is hoped will take place before the end of August.

  1. Publicity

Nigel will draft a further article for the Stirling Observer “Unsung Heroes” series.  There has been no further information from Waitrose regarding the Trust’s application for community scheme funding.

  1. Doors Open Day

This will take place on 15th and 16th September.  Jack will prepare material for the SCT table in Cowane’s Hospital.  Nigel will man the table between 10 am and 1 pm on 15th September and Jack from 1 pm until 4 pm.  On 16 September, Jack will be there from noon until 2 pm and Janet from 2 pm until 4 pm.

Data Protection Regulations

It was agreed to send the paper prepared by Jack on membership data protection to members with notice for the AGM.

AOCB

Johnnie and Jack attended meetings in Edinburgh in June chaired by Dr Susan O’Connor, the new head of the Scottish Civic Trust. The meetings were an introductory session to establish the needs of local Civic Trusts and other topics relevant to the future plans of the new administration. These plans will be broadcast by the Autumn.

Following a request by Jack to photograph Langgarth Villa, which stands in the grounds of Stirling Council’s former offices at Viewforth, Catherine Malley has offered to seek to make available photographs recently taken by HES.  These should be a useful addition to illustrative material held by SCT.  Jack will investigate whether the building is on the Buildings at Risk Register, and what other local buildings are on the Register.

Encouraging local firms involved in building conservation work to take out Corporate Membership of SCT has previously been raised.  Jack will follow up potentially useful sources of information, including the Falkirk Forum and Stirling Heritage Trust, which holds lists of specialist contractors.  This will allow the matter to be discussed further at the next Executive meeting.

As matters stand, Jack is not inclined to produce an Autumn Mini Newsletter.

 

Date of next meeting

This will be held after the AGM, on a date to be decided.

Stirling Civic Trust

Executive meeting, 8 May 2018

1 Present: Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Janet McNair, Gordon McEachern, Mick Stewart.

Apologies were received from Susan Stirling-Aird and Johnnie Cuthbert.

2 The Minutes of 3rd April 2018 were approved. There were no matters arising not covered below.

3 Planning matters.

– Murrayshall Quarry – No notable correspondence or comment.

– McCarthy and Stone, Orchard House – this was refused at the last Planning Panel, contrary to recommendation to approve (note this was discovered on the 9 May 2018 and not reported at Executive meeting.)

4 Future Programme

– Summer

Visit to the Smith, 24th May; 8 members have register to attend.

Visit to the Archives, 7 Sept; 5 have so far registered, however others may confirm nearer to the time.

– Winter Talks

After suggestions and debate it was agreed that talks involving Scottish Water, SEPA the Council and FOE around the topic of Recycling and Waste Disposal and Management, Water to include Supply and Disposal, with the possibility of Flooding being included.

Action – Jack to investigate

5 Accounts and Financial Issues

It was decided to recommend that the Corporate Membership should be increased to £30, and that there should be a move to attract more Corporate Members with the option of having a list of Corporate Members on the Web Site (thereby giving a degree of publicity to these members). Ways of targeting potential members were discussed including a press release to the Stirljng Observer, contact the Council’s Economic Development and STEP to ascertain if there is a business directory. Nigel agreed to approach DUNSIRES It was also agree to contact Sonya Landskill (?) of the Heritage Trust to advise the Members of the Trust’s Traditional Buildings Scheme of the our Trust’s existence.

Jack advised that the Trust had applied for Waitrose’s community scheme funding; other similar

schemes (e.g. Tesco’s etc require an actual project)

6 Publicity

It was recognised that there was a limited number of potential candidates. Nigel volunteered to

consider a further candidate.

7 AOCB

  1. The Executive unanimously agreed to formally minute it’s gratitude Roger and Linda Chapman for long and unstinting support of the Trust, and to send a Book Token as a sign of that gratitude.
  2. Janet raised the forthcoming new Data Protection requirements and it was agreed that Jack would contact the Scottish Civic Trust for advice. It was hoped that a notification on the AGM Notice would suffice.
  3. It was noticed that the Town Centre appeared to be revitalising with new commercial, if not retail,operations were opening.

8 Date of Next Meeting

7 August 2018, 7.30 pm at McEachern Architects Office.

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE 

 7,30pm  Tuesday 3rd April 2018

  1. Welcome and apologies

Present:  Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Mick Stewart, Janet McNair

Apologies Susan Stirling-Aird.

 2. To approve the minutes of the meeting of Tuesday 27th  February 2018

Approved.

  1. Matters arising

None.

  1. Planning matters

McCarthy and Stone – recommended for approval.

Bannockburn Crematorium – approved.

Park of Keir   No change, “The Scot Ministers have issued a notice of intent to approve the application following the completion of a legal agreement; work on this legal agreement is presumably still on going and as such the final approval has not yet been given.”

Cornton Vale – application about to be submitted

Murrayshall – Old application re-submitted for review of conditions such as environmental impacts (noise, dust etc), traffic impacts, phasing and reinstatement/remediation measures, etc.rights. Will continue to be monitored.

  1. Future programme

The list of suggested summer outings was discussed at some length and the following locations were considered for further discussion,

1 Blairdrummond House

2 “The Smith Museum”

3 Forthside – renovation of existing barracks to provide third sector office/conference accommodation by Robertson Trust.

Jack will pursue these and establish more details for a choice of 2 locations for summer visits, with some relevant input where appropriate from Janet and Mick, and will then email the committee for approval or amendment.

The suggestions for winter talks were discussed in lesser detail, but “Stirling Archives” was considered o be a suitable choice and “Stirling’s water supply” might be worth following up.

  1. Accounts

An outstanding action is the status on payment of subscriptions.

Statement of accounts.

The yearly expenditure exceeded income by £206.25 and the bank balance stood at £690.52.

This situation obviously cannot be allowed to continue, and the following points were raised to ensure the finances return to an annual operating profit.

1 Reduce the categories of subscription and increase subscription charges (except life members).

2 Charge for winter talks attended by non-members.

3 Examine ways to improve membership levels.

4 Examine ways to obtain donations.

5 Reduce costs identified in the accounts.

Jack will develop these suggestions and email the committee for approval or amendment and then send a letter of intention to the full Trust membership.

Recruiting a new Treasurer.

Janet asked Nigel if he would consider this position, and after careful consideration, he declined.

The committee members will consider other possible names and Jack will include this action in his letter to the membership relating to changes to achieve a profitable status for the Trust.

7.AOCB

The committee expressed their gratitude to Gordon for the use of his business conference room for it’s atmosphere, convenient location for all members, and the first contribution to reducing costs for the Trust.

  1. Date of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8th May.

Jack.               08.04.18

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE 

 7,30pm  Tuesday 27th Feb 2018

1 Welcome and apologies

Present:  Jack Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Mick Stewart.

Apologies Gordon McEachern, Janet McNair

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting of Tuesday 26th  September 2017

Approved.

  1. Matters arising

None.

  1. Planning matters

McCarthy and Stone – no further progress.

Bannockburn housing – refused.

Park of Keir   “The Scot Ministers have issued a notice of intent to approve the application following the completion of a legal agreement; work on this legal agreement is presumably still on going and as such the final approval has not yet been given.”

Duerieshill – original application reactivated.

  1. Future programme

Suggestions for 2/3 summer outings and 3 winter talks are to be presented at the next committee meeting. Anyone unable to attend, should submit their suggestions by e-mail for committee consideration.

  1. Accounts

Outstanding actions ongoing since September 2017 are

Status on payment of prescriptions.

Approved accounts for 2016/7.

Gift vouchers for guest speakers Dr Murray Cook and David Kinnaird.

  1. Participation at planning meetings

Mick will advise Jack when he feels the Trust should attend in support of, or against an application.

  1. Publicity

Committee members should submit their opinions on which people are worthy of inclusion in the “Unsung Hero” features for the Observer and the “Smart Screen “. Jack to contact the ARCHIVIST on ideas for suitable candidates.

Anyone unable to attend the next meeting, should submit their suggestions by e-mail for committee consideration.

Jack stated he intended to start efforts for “projects” small enough in scope for the committee to organise, implement and complete.

Anyone unable to attend the next meeting, should submit their suggestions by e-mail for committee consideration.

  1. Survey on local outcome improvement plan.

Mick reviewed the various sections of the latest changes to the plan.

  1. Architectural competition

To be reviewed when Mick and Gordon return.

  1. My place awards

“The Engine Shed” was not on the shortlist of nominations for this award, but will be mentioned in the annual brochure release for the awards.

  1. AOCB

Website – Jack requested the committee approve his suggestion to use and change the home page to show a different significant Stirling feature each month as an indicator of regular updates. This was agreed.

  1. Date of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd or Monday 9th April.

Members should email their preference ASAP to allow the room booking to be made

Jack.               28.02.18

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE 

 7,30pm  Tuesday 26th September 2017

  1. 1. Welcome and apologies

Present:  Jack Sutherland (Convener/Secretary), Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Susan Stirling-Aird and Janet McNair.

Apologies Gordon McEachern, Mick Stewart, Roger Chapman

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting of Tuesday 27th June 2017

After 2 corrections, the minutes were approved.

  1. Matters arising

None.

  1. Planning matters

Janet explained the current status of the Keir Park application which was that, in spite of the reporter having recommending refusal, Scottish ministers had approved permission for the application to proceed, subject to legal agreement between the relevant parties involved in the development, and the application is effectively on hold until this happens.

Other planning matters will be reviewed when Mick returns.

  1. Future programme

(Nigel said that the second summer outing, to the Church of the Holy Rude had been well enjoyed by those attending)

Catherine Malley, Stirling Council Conservation Officer (planning department), Dr Murray Cook, and David Kinnaird are the confirmed speakers for the winter talks and all dates and bookings are detailed in the publicity poster for the events, which will be in the AGM intimation package.

  1. Accounts

Susan said that the audited accounts will be available by 6th October. She will check her file to establish how many, if any, have failed to pay their annual subscriptions last year and take action accordingly.

Out-with the meeting, will Susan please confirm the new Standing Order Form has the correct format and account numbers before Jack issues it in the AGM intimation.

  1. Participation at planning meetings

Christine Cox has welcomed a Trust presence at planning meetings, but the committee needs clarification on which meetings – to be clarified on Mick’s return.

  1. Publicity

Nigel volunteered to generate the next “Unsung Hero” feature based on Muir Mathieson, the Scottish conductor and composer, and this offer was gratefully accepted.

It was suggested that the scope of features should be expanded beyond its present status, and this is minuted in AOCB, see below.

  1. Scottish Civic Trust

The annual conference this year will be held in the Glasgow Trade Halls on 27th October and the committee agreed to pay the attendance fee for Jack, to attend on the day. Full details not available yet.

  1. Architectural competition

To be reviewed when Mick and Gordon return.

  1. Poetry writing competition

Susan detailed her findings so far on this proposal. It transpires that the “Smith” are holding such a competition this year, so the Trust will not! However, there is an opportunity to hold one next year and with a link to the university as a location for the final presentation. Susan will form a plan as to what will be required for this, including timescales, for the next meeting.

  1. My place awards

The Trust will nominate “The Engine Shed” when application forms become available.

  1. AOCB

1 Jack requested authorisation for a one of expense of £30 to install a program which monitors the activity and “hits” on our website to allow us to review the data and effectiveness of the site. This was approved. It will be incorporated by our website developer.

2 The “Unsung Hero” features will run out of topics soon in its current scope and we need to include other topics to maintain a presence in local media. Ideas were put forward and at the next meeting all suggestions will be tabled for discussion.

Meanwhile Jack explained he had contacted “VISITSCOTLAND” to enquire if they would be interested in collaborating in the development of an interactive device in the Tourist Information Office which would allow visitors to access items of interest associated with the City and its immediate surrounds. They requested a sample of the features to date in preparation for a meeting with Stirling Council during the last week in September. Jack will contact them in October.

  1. Date of next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 5th December.

Jack.               28.09.17

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE 

 7,30pm  Tuesday 27th June 2017

1. Welcome and apologies

Present:  Jack Sutherland (Convener/Secretary), Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Susan Stirling-Aird and Janet McNair.

Apologies Gordon McEachern, Mick Stewart, Roger Chapman

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting of Tuesday 28th March. 2017

Approved.

  1. Matters arising

None.

  1. Planning matters

McCarthy and Stone – carried over pending Mick’s report.

The Bannockburn housing development (Hallam Land Management) was discussed, but neither Jack nor Janet could find it in the planning schedule and it was thought to have been withdrawn. Can Mick confirm this?

POST MEETING NOTE. There is a major article in the Observer regarding this proposal which has raised objections from HES and the National Trust for Scotland. Can Mick please establish the status of this application.

Jack has confirmed he will meet the head of planning (Christine Cox) when she returns from holiday, 13th July.

  1. Future programme

The visit to the Church of the Holy Rude will include sufficient time for questions on the history and other noteworthy features of the building. A reminder of the planned visit date and time will be sent out to the membership.

Winter program talks 2017/2018

Neil Oliver. Jack had been in contact with the agent for N O, but had not received any response to date. There was significant discussion on the expenses required by this speaker and the possibility of requesting a free talk as being appropriate for a charity, but It was felt there were too many imponderables and other speaker possibilities were put forward, in preference.

Dr Murray Cook. Murray is the Stirling Council archaeologist and gives very entertaining talks on Stirling subjects and Jack will contact him during the coming weekend.

Janet will contact another entertaining speaker David Kinnaird who has a background of talks on Stirling topics, and who she thinks might be willing to give a talk.

Catherine Malley, Stirling Council Conservation Officer (planning department)

Jack will contact Catherine to see if she would be able to give a talk, which might complement the previous two speakers!

Other suggestions arose and Janet suggested a speaker who had addressed the Glasgow Civic group. Other sources of speaker may come from suitable people who are known to the Scottish Civic Trust and Jack has asked Gaby Laing if she can supply such.

Nigel suggested John Mayhew, director of a speaker APRS (Association for Preservation Scotland) who had addressed their AGM on two APRS campaigns, energy conservation, including a bottle recycling scheme, and a Green Belts Alliance. Following this suggestion, it was thought that the theme for 2018/19 winter talks should be “Home energy conservation”

Susan suggested a talk on church stained glass windows so it was suggested that depending on how many attended the outing to the Holy Rude, we might take this suggestion further.

  1. Audited accounts

Susan provided the master copy of the accounts for filing. She also forwarded a suggestion from the auditor for encouraging members to raise standing orders to ensure timely payment of subscriptions – Jack will contact Linda to see if our own form for this purpose still exists. The OSCAR confirmation of satisfactory completion for the year ending 2016 was also demonstrated.

  1. Project implementation

Publicity.

Jack will submit the 4th feature on “Unsung heroes” during July on Christian Maclagan. The committee thought that these features could only do good for the Trust and hopefully this will be  reflected in the attendances for the coming winter talks. Nigel is working on the next feature subject, “Robert Spittal”

Recruitment. Nothing new to report.

Fundraising  Grants could be sought on the basis of a good prospectus put forward in the context of the City Deal.

Good writing competition

Susan will discuss this with Katy Halsey and will report back.

  1. Architectural competition

Carried over.

9.Heritage angel awards

There were no submissions for this suggestion.

  1. Revenue raising suggestion

Carried over.

  1. The engine shed

Jack said he will be submitting this project for the “My place” awards. It was proposed that this might be an excellent venue for a winter group visit and Jack will follow up on this.

  1. AOCB

Johnny asked if the Trust should be involved in a large development at Leckie House near Gargunnock which included 4 chalets. He outlined the general proposal and the committee felt that it should be investigated by Mick. (Since then Jack has emailed Mick with the relevant application numbers.

  1. Date of next meeting

 Members are asked to state ASAP their availability for either Tuesday 26th or Thursday 28th September.

Jack Sutherland, Convenor and Secretary

 

Minutes of the MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE 

 7,30pm  Tuesday 28th March 2017

 1. Welcome and apologies

Present:  Jack Sutherland (Convener/Secretary),  Nigel Buchanan, Gordon McEachern, Mick Stewart, Johnnie Cuthbert and Roger Chapman

Apologies:  Susan Stirling-Aird and Janet McNair

 

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting of Tuesday 24th Jan. 2017

Approved.

 

  1. Matters arising

There were none.

 

  1. Planning matters

a.)  City Deal   It was agreed that a meeting with the new Planning head of department would be sought when the implications of the City deal were firmer.

 

  1. b) Development of former Orchard House site MS drew attention to a public exhibition that was planned to take place at the Cowane Centre from 2 to 7 pm on Monday, 3rd April. It was a pre-application notification regarding the development of the former Orchard House site.  It is located in the triangle of Lower Bridge Street, Union Street and the Drip Road so it is an island site surrounded by busy traffic.  Part of the planned development is for specialist retirement homes sponsored by McCarthy and Stone.  Another part is for general retail and restaurants.  There was a suggestion that the site was currently part of a green link.  MS will try to attend the exhibition.

 

  1. Future programme

    Various possibilities were canvassed:

a.)  Bannockburn House  A visit can take place in May, from 10am to 2pm.  JS suggested an hour’s visit at midday. He will pursue this.

b.)  Talks for 2017/8 autumn/winter

  1. i) Church of the Holy Rude, and
  2. ii) Cowanes Hospital JMcN is looking into these, both including visits.

iii) Neil Oliver JS will enquire whether he will give a talk.

  1. iv) Catherine Malley, Stirling Council Conservation Officer

It was agreed that a few places on visits might be offered to members of the Stirling branch of the National Trust for Scotland.

 

  1. Project implementation

 

a.) 101 ideas and Stirling “benefactors”.   After some discussion, it was agreed that selection of names for a physical memorial could be controversial and would not give much scope for describing their claims to fame.  A better idea would be to develop a ‘virtual blue plaque’ app that can be downloaded to people’s phones as well as issued to tourist etc. sites about the city.  This could be used as a guide to the various locations around town and contain a fair amount of extra information about each ‘benefactor’.

The first priority though is to establish tha candidates and their credentials.  NWB will work further on the people in his list.  JS asked other members to put forward suggestions.  Once names are discovered, the internet should provide more detail in most instances; Stirling Archives could also be helpful.

 

b.) Recruitment. Nothing new to report.

 

c.) Fundraising  Grants could be sought on the basis of a good prospectus put forward in the context of the City Deal.

 

d.) Good writing competition SS-A is looking at this.

 

  1. AOCB

a.)  Donation to SUSTRANS  We have been asked for a donation but must reply that we do not have the resources to give to other charities, though individual members support SUSTRANS.

 

b.) OSCR  JC asked whether our accounts and report have been sent to OSCR yet.  He thought not but will enquire of S.SA.

Afternote by RC  Linda Chapman, the former Treasurer, has just received an email from OSCR asking for our accounts and the Convener’s report for 2015/6 to be submitted to them by the deadline of 30 April 2017.  Linda has forwarded the request to SS-A.  (Note also that OSCR must be told a.s.a.p. that SS-A is now the contact point for the Trust.)

 

  1. Date of next meeting

    Members are asked to state their availability for either Tuesday 27th or Thursday 29th June.

 

MINUTES OF THE  MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE

Stirling University in Room  C2B76  7,30pm  Tuesday 24th Jan. 2017

  1. Welcome and apologies

Present: J Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Janet McNair, Johnny Cuthbert and Mick Stewart.

Apologies received from Gordon McEachern, Susan Stirling-Aird and Roger Chapman.

2.  To approve the minutes of the meeting on Thursday 24th November 2016

Approved.

  1. Matters arising

None.

  1. Planning matters

MS said he had not been in touch with the new head of planning yet and requested that he would be accompanied by other Trust members when a meeting was arranged. This was agreed and Jack and Nigel would certainly attend and any other committee member if the situation required it.

  1. Future programme

“HOUSING”. The last talk of this series is scheduled for 16th Feb. and Jack will send out reminders to all the regular recipients of public meetings, starting next week. JMcN and JC apologised in advance for not being available to attend this meeting.

Topics for the 2017/2018 talks were discussed.

These included the Cowane hospital (J McN), a talk by Neil Oliver, a talk by Catherine O Malley (Stirling Council Conservation) and the Church of the Holy Rude (J McN). This year is the 450th anniversary of the birth of James VI of Scotland (and James 1 of England) – this is thought to be a very significant occasion to commemorate with a talk.

It had been suggested previously that some talks were poorly attended because of weather conditions in January and February. Should the months of Oct. Nov. and Dec. be considered? – no decision was taken at the meeting.

It was pointed out that of these topics, summer outings could be considered for the Cowane hospital, and the Church of the Holy Rude. Also Jack will make contact with the Convenor of the Bannockburn House Trust to establish if a solely Civic Trust visit can be arranged.

  1. AGM and talk

The accounts have been signed off by Jim Richardson. He suggested we try and get more members to pay by Standing Order. This had been attempted previously with no great success, but we could try again. SS-A to report at the next meeting

  1. Project(s) implementation

At the instigation of Stuart Oliver, Jack had met with Chris McGuire and Chris Hannah of McGuire Design/Advertising for a preview of a new branding design for the Stirling area, urban and rural. The meeting was held in confidence until its commercial release. Jack felt that it was a very good presentation and treated well in terms of the magnitude and importance of the project.

(Out-with the meeting, it is possible that we might publish a series of articles explaining the significance of the new Stirling branding logos.

A meeting with Stuart Oliver for 26th Jan. was cancelled at short notice, and re-arranged for 30th Jan. Or 1st Feb.

Regarding project funding, Jack will bring this topic up with Stuart and circulate the committee with other funding bodies identified at the Scottish CT annual meeting in Linlithgow. He also expects to meet John Rowbotham next month to discuss publicity.

  1. Publicity

1 A “flyer” for Stirling Civic Trust will be posted out to all members of the Stirling Members’ Centre of the National Trust for Scotland, in February, in the hope of recruiting some more members to our membership.

A photograph of the current Trust convenor meeting with Council officials and/or major stakeholders in the City Deal was considered to be more suitable for inclusion on the website.

The proposed “Better Writing” competition was held over as Susan was not in attendance.

  1. Revenue earning suggestions

Sites of interest to the Trust will be considered for mini bus outings as one means of raising revenue.

Benefactors and grant possibilities will be researched. Jack will raise what options, if any, are possible from Stirling Council. Other ideas are requested for follow up meetings. Jack will copy the committee with details of other funding bodies identified by the Scottish Civic Trust.

  1. AOCB

101 Civic Ideas

Using a list of Civic Ideas supplied by the Scottish Civic Trust, the committee identified the following items as possibilities to be developed as mini projects. Each project will require a definition of scope, estimated cost, people or groups to be contacted or involved, and start/completion date estimates

1 Invite architects, historians or owners to give building tours

2 Ask for blue plaque nominations

3  Get sponsored to renovate an area of green space

4 Hold a photography competition

5 Ask local celebrities what they love about the area

6 Create an eyesore of the month award with a public vote

Other items of information,

The Stirling Civic Trust was formed in 1977

(Out-with the meeting)

A Civic Day (Scotland) has been specified for 12th June this year

  1. Date of next meeting

The date for the next meeting has been suggested as the 27th or 28th of March. Will those members not at the meeting please indicate your preferred date ASAP to myself to facilitate the room booking.

Jack Sutherland       27.01.2017

MINUTES OF THE  MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE

Stirling University in Room  C2B76  7,30pm  Thursday 24th Nov. 2016

  1. Welcome and apologies

Present: J Sutherland, Nigel Buchanan, Susan Stirling-Aird, Janet McNair and Mick Stewart.

Apologies received from Gordon McEachern, Johnny Cuthbert and Roger Chapman.

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting on Monday 19th Sept. 2016

Approved.

3. Matters arising

None

Planning matters

MS reported there no significant applications and one relating to a Kippendavie application (housing) had been rejected.

  1. Future programme

“HOUSING” talks to be continued in Jan. and Feb. 2017.

Topics for the 2017/2018 talks are requested for the next committee meeting. It was also suggested that some talks were poorly attended because of weather conditions in January and February. Should the months of Oct. Nov. and Dec. be considered – decision to be taken at next meeting.

  1. AGM and talk

Minutes are on the website.

The accounts have been signed off by Jim Richardson. He suggested we try and get more members to pay by Standing Order. This had been attempted previously with no great success, but we could try again.

  1. Project(s) implementation

It was agreed by all present that we should be attempting to improve the Stirling Civic Trust profile in the eyes of the public in general, and Stirling Council and other civic bodies in particular. It was felt that the only way we can do this is to undertake (and achieve) civic projects which would in turn necessitate increased efforts by the committee in organising

PUBLICITY

RECRUITMENT OF NEW MEMBERS WITH APPROPRIATE SKILLS

COLLABORATION WITH OTHER LIKE MINDED BODIES

FUND RAISING

This effort will be made coinciding with the imminent implementation of the Stirling City Deal with all its associated activities.

In the first instance, Mick will contact the new head of the Council planning department (formerly Peter Morgan) and Jack will establish contact with the new Program Manager of the Stirling CITY DEAL, (formerly Lesley Gallagher)

At the centre of these efforts is the need to demonstrate what the Civic Trust contributes to “BETTER PLACES FOR PEOPLE TO LIVE”

(Not necessarily related to buildings – spaces also qualify!)

  1. Publicity

1 We have been approached by the Stirling Members’ Centre of the National Trust for Scotland to exchange “flyers” for our respective organisations, and this was agreed to be a good idea. Jack will create a flyer for the SCT and each organisation will do a mailing of the other activity’s events, in the aim of recruiting new members.

2 The web will feature a page dedicated to new items, on a monthly basis.

3 Committee credentials will be amended to be more expansive.

4 A series of features of SCT activities will be submitted to the Stirling Observer.

5 The website will be amended to show the SCT has a positive attitude to working with the planning department and other like minded bodies.

6 A photograph of the current convenor will be added to the “Who we are” page of the website

All of the above will be actioned at frequent intervals to sustain a constant presence in the public domain.

We will generate and issue quarterly, a small news sheet on appropriate random topics, to keep in touch with the membership.

Also, Susan suggested a “Good writing competition” to get more member involvement, and possible the general public later. This could be for adults and younger people (members children and grandchildren?)

  1. Scottish Civic Trust

The annual meeting at Linlithgow has been reported, but the individual presentations have not yet been received from the SCT.

  1. Architectural competition.

This event will be put on hold for the present time in the hope that the CITY DEAL will bring about increased architectural activity raising the possibility of future competitions.

  1. Revenue earning suggestions

Sites of interest to the Trust will be considered for mini bus outings as one means of raising  revenue. Benefactors and grant possibilities will be researched. Other ideas are requested for follow up meetings.

  1. AOCB

The proposed visit to Bannockburn House is still a possibility, currently on hold because of an illness.

13 Date of next meeting

The date for the next meeting has been suggested as the 24th or 26th of Jan. 2017. Please indicate your preferred date ASAP to myself. Those present are available for both dates, so if Gordon, Johnny and Roger respond promptly, I’ll get the room booked. Also, if you can in touch with me, I’ll show you the quickest route to get to the back entrance which is still in use!

Jack Sutherland       25.11.2016

 

 

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Stirling Civic Trust

Held at the Smith Museum at 7.00 pm on Thursday, 3rd November 2016

 

  1. Welcome and Apologies.

The Convener welcomed those present.  Apologies had been received from Major-Gen Barr (RTD) who thanked the retiring committee members and supported the recommended successors to office.

  1. Minutes of the AGM of November 2015.

These were accepted as minuted.

  1. Financial Report.

Susan explained that the accounts had not yet been audited because of monies still to be received, but said that this should concluded and audited before the end of November. The significant spend in the current year was the cost of the new website, but this was money well spent for a professional appearance website which was user friendly for changes/updates and new features.

  1. Election of Officers.

The Convener reported that he was resigning office and Bill Frame had likewise resigned, leaving two vacancies in the committee. He and other committee members recommended that Jack Sutherland was well qualified to take on this commitment. This   was accepted and proposed by Donald Way and seconded by Janet McNair.

Nominations were invited for the posts of Vice Convenor and Secretary, but none were forthcoming and Jack agreed to remain as Secretary until a replacement could be found.

Roger Chapman remained as minutes Secretary and Susan Stirling-Aird as Treasurer.

The remaining members, Nigel Buchanan, Johnnie Cuthbert, Gordon McEachern, Janet McNair and Mick Stewart offered themselves for re-election and this was accepted. Nigel thanked the committee members for their help in the year past.

 

  1. Future Programme.

Two follow-on talks on “HOUSING” had been arranged as follows and these would be advertised in timely fashion in the local press.

Thursday 19th January 2017

Tony Teasdale , Director Rural Stirling Housing Association:

Affordable housing in the rural Stirling area

 

Thursday 16th February 2017

Emma Fyvie, Planning and Policy Team Leader, Stirling Council:

Stirling City New Housing In The Next 20 Years

 

  1. Website

The committee felt that the new website was far superior to the previous version and Jack planned to ensure there were regular updates and new features to keep the site interesting. His request for member participation in a proposed “Virtual tour of Stirling” had met with no response, but he did propose incorporating photographs of Stirling features, with text where appropriate, as part of maintaining interest in the site.

  1. Convener’s Report.

The report had been circulated to all members.

  1. Membership subscriptions

The committee recommended that future applications for Life Membership should be increased from £50 to£100. This was accepted unanimously.

  1. Any Other Business

There was none, and the meeting was declared closed.

There followed a talk by Tony Cain, the first of three planned talks on HOUSING.

 

Jack Sutherland, Secretary and Vice Convenor

 

 

Minutes of MEETING OF STIRLING CIVIC TRUST EXECUTIVE

Stirling University on Thursday 26th May 2016

 

  1. Welcome and apologies

Present: Nigel W Buchanan (Convener), Jack Sutherland (Secretary), William Frame, Johnnie Cuthbert, Mick Stewart and Roger Chapman.  Apologies: Janet McNair and Gordon McEachearn.

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting of 15th March 2016

Approved.

  1. Matters arising

    There were none.

  1. Planning matters

Land to South of Airthrey Carse Dairy Farm

An appeal has been lodged against the Council’s refusal of planning permission for development including 600 housing units.  This will be dealt with by the written submissions procedure followed by a site inspection by a reporter from the Scottish Government.

Park of Keir development

This scheme is at a similar stage.

NWB noted that the Trust have reiterated their objection to both schemes and there is no more action to be taken at present.  He asked whether, in either case, the reporter had authority to make the judgement or whether he could only make a recommendation to the minister.  MS undertook to check the appeals website.

WF said that he knew of no new schemes that the Trust needed to address.

5  Future programme

Winter Talks 2016/17.

JS said that Tony Teasdale (or another from the Rural Stirling Housing Association RSHA) is willing to talk to our members and Brian Roberts is similarly willing on the subject of the Stirling City Development Framework (SCDF).  He understood that GMcE has not yet made any contacts on the subject of ecological housing.  Assuming eventual success in this last approach, we should have our usual trio of presentations.

MS put forward the idea that there was much more to be considered on the subject of housing at the national level, e.g. factors such as the formation of households and personal financing that affect demand the economics of and physical constraints on supply.  Perhaps the winter’s series should start with this theme before moving on to strictly planning aspects.  This idea found general favour and MS agreed to make some enquiries regarding a speaker, possibly via Tony Kane, the Secretary to the Institute of Housing.

NWB revived the idea of a speaker illustrating the possibility of good design quality in the private sector at reasonable cost to counteract the depressing sameness of speculative ‘executive’ housing.  It was agreed that the ecological housing theme could be deferred to another year and a private housing design talk (perhaps given by a major house builder) combined with the RSHA talk.  This would leave the sequence as follows:

  1. Housing at the national level;
  2. RSHA and private sector housing design;
  3. Local housing in the context of SCDF.

It was left that those involved would continue to make arrangements via e-mailWebsite.

  1. Website

Our website is up and running.  http://stirlingcivictrust.org.uk/

NWB congratulated JS on his success in liaison with Rab Richie, the designer.  JS said that he had made the small changes that NWB had asked for and was now confident that he can amend content independently.  He had put in some time practising the technique but maintenance from here on should not be too time consuming.  Perhaps another member should cover him.

NWB said that we need to increase the content now, in particular to construct a Virtual Tour of Stirling.  Here, the idea was for a series of  photographs of places of interest in Stirling (avoiding the the major tourist locations) followed by a concise write-up about them.  He asked members to consider what they could provide.  JS volunteered to assist with photography as required.

  1. Scottish Civic Trust

NWB had appended their bulletin of 6th May. He also noted with interest two Stirling nominations for their awards:

My Place:  Braehead Community Garden

Civic Champion:  Peter Paterson, who spoke to us not that long ago on Cambusbarron history.

  1. Architectural competition

JS noted that he had added a piece about the current competition to the website inviting applicants to apply to himself or to JC for the necessary entry forms (in the temporary absence of NWB).

NWB said that there were no entries so far but on past form they will arrive immediately before the deadline of Tuesday 14th June.

9.Any other business

There was none.

  1. Date of next meeting

This would be needed to firm up the new programme prior to producing the newsletter.  A range of possible dates was agreed by those present – weekdays ranging from Thursday 15th to Tuesday 20th September.  Those not present are asked to report to the Secretary their availability within this range.

 

Roger Chapman, Minute Secretary